Base Property and Historical Use
Moffett Field was commissioned in 1933 as a naval air station to support a “lighter-than-air” (LTA) program. The LTA program involved training pilots to fly blimps and servicing the aircraft. Two years later, the LTA program ended and the station was transferred to the Army Air Corps, who used the facilities to train air cadets. During the Army’s tenure, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, the predecessor to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), established Ames Aeronautical Laboratory on land northwest of Moffett Field, which later became NASA Ames Research Center. In 1942, the station was transferred back to the Navy and was officially named Naval Air Station Moffett Field. To support World War II, the LTA program was reactivated, and a “heavier-than-air” program was begun to support fighter planes. Hangars 2 and 3 were built to support the increase in activity. After World War II, Moffett Field continued to support major Navy aeronautical activities. The station became the largest naval air transport base on the west coast.
Closure date, planned reuses, parcels transferred
In 1990, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Act was enacted. In 1991, Moffett Field was recommended for closure. In July 1994, the airfield was closed and Moffett Field was transferred to NASA Ames Research Center. The Army is the property holder of Moffett Community Housing, which includes Orion Park, Wescoat and Shenandoah.