Base Property and Historical Use
Alameda Annex covers about 143 acres along the southern shore of the Oakland Inner Harbor, southeast of the Port of Oakland and east of Alameda Point. Before 1920, Alameda Annex and surrounding areas were undeveloped marshlands and tidal flats along San Francisco Bay. The area was used as a commercial airport from 1920 to 1941; at the time, the University of California sold the property to the U.S. Government, and the U.S. Army used the property as a depot. The Navy obtained the southern portion of the area in 1946 and the northern portion in 1966. The property was used as a main supply center supporting the operation of military fleets and shore activities in the Pacific Basin.
Closure date, planned reuses, parcels transferred
In 1996, Alameda Annex was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Act of 1990. It was formally closed in September 1998. The Alameda Annex Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) was established in 1993, to review and comment on technical documents and activities associated with the investigation and cleanup efforts. The RAB consists of community members and representatives from the Navy, regulatory agencies, and City of Alameda. The entire Annex has been transferred and the intended reuse includes residential and commercial/industrial components.
Remaining disposal work
Alameda Annex has been entirely conveyed, though the Navy retained responsibility for the remainder of the environmental cleanup program.