Base Property and Historical Use
Construction of former NTC began in 1921. The Naval Training Station, as it was then named, was commissioned on 1 June 1923. In 1942, the Station reached its wartime peak of 33,000 personnel housed in temporary-type wood frame and stucco structures. In April 1944, the Secretary of the Navy redesignated the Station as Naval Training Center. After a reduction in activity following WWII, former NTC again operated at full capacity in 1950 as a result of the Korean conflict. Personnel levels declined following the 1950s. Immediately prior to the decision to close NTC, facility population was approximately 10,000 personnel, including staff, students, and tenant command personnel.
Closure date, planned reuses, parcels transferred
Throughout its history, the mission of former NTC was to provide primary, advanced, and/or specialized training for members of the regular U.S. Navy and Naval Reserve. When the decision was made to close NTC, there were two main component commands located on base: Recruit Training Command (RTC) and Service School Command (SSC). RTC was decommissioned in March 1994 and SSC in March 1996. Operational closure of former NTC occurred on 30 April 1997.
During the reuse planning process, the approximately 540 acres comprising former NTC property was divided into ten reuse parcels. All of the parcels have been transferred to date except for two parcels (identified as IIIB and VII) that comprise the Boat Channel. Some of the parcels were transferred to other Department of Defense entities, while others went to the city of San Diego and the San Diego Unified Port District. The two parcels (identified as IV and V) that went to the Port District were transferred through a Finding of Suitability for Early Transfer (FOSET), while the others were transferred through Findings of Suitability for Transfer (FOSTs).