The former Bay Head Road Annex, now Bay Head Park, is located in Anne Arundel County, northeast of Annapolis, Maryland (Figure 1). The facility was founded as The Bay Head Road Annex Launch Area, designated W-26 Nike Battery. It was used by the Army for missile defense operations from 1954 until 1969.
After Nike Battery deactivation, the facility was used by the Navy to conduct burn tests to determine heat resistant properties of materials for use onboard Navy ships. Materials were burned in a concrete pit and analyzed for off-gas production and fire hazard potential. These operations occurred from 1972 to 1981. After that, the Navy used the site for equipment storage, until 1999 when all operations ceased. It was closed and transferred to Anne Arundel County under the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) in 2004. The facility was then developed into its current use, Bay Head Park with soccer fields, a playground, and a tenant, the Children’s Theater of Annapolis (Figure 2).