Base Property and Historical Use
In 2005, the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act (BRAC) directed the closure of Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NASJRB) Willow Grove. In early 2011, NASJRB concluded nearly 70 years of service and ceased flight operations. In September 2011, the air station entered caretaker status, pending property transfer to the Horsham Land Redevelopment Authority.
From 1942 to 2011, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NASJRB) Willow Grove provided support infrastructure and services to assigned units and supported commands, enabling them to achieve their readiness and training goals. The station trained all assigned units for mobilization status. NASJRB supported Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force Reserve, and Pennsylvania Air National Guard and Army Guard units. Some of the previous tenant and reserve units on the station included:
Marine Aircraft Group - 49 (MAG - 49) commands Marine Corps aviation units located in Pennsylvania and New York.
913th Airlift Wing (Air Force Reserve) trained and equips reservists to perform the combat mission of aerial re-supply ranging from the strategic to the humanitarian operations worldwide;
111th Fighter Wing, Pennsylvania Air National Guard provides highly trained, well equipped and combat-ready A-10 aircraft and support elements in response to wartime and peacetime tasking under state or federal authority;
Fleet Logistics Support Squadron Five Two (VR-52) and Six Four (VR-64) provided around-the-clock worldwide air logistic support for active and Reserve Navy units;
Patrol Squadron Six Six (VP-66) provided contributory support to fleet in the conduct of maritime, antisubmarine warfare, antisubmarine warfare and aerial mine warfare.