Base Property and Historical Use
Sand Point is on the western shore of Lake Washington, approximately 6 miles (10 km) northeast of downtown Seattle. Navy established the base in 1929 on land acquired from King County. Sand Point was initially named Naval Air Station (NAS) Seattle at Sand Point. It served as a Naval Air Reserve training facility until December 7, 1941. During World War II, NAS Seattle supported air transport and ship outfitting for the Alaskan and Western Pacific areas of operation. In 1945, at the peak of its activity, the base supported more than 4,600 Navy, Marine Corps, and civilian personnel. After the war, the base was designated a Naval Reserve Air Station. From 1945 to 1970, the station maintained Naval Reserve squadrons to supplement active duty forces in the continental United States and abroad. Aviation activities officially ceased on June 30, 1970, and NAS Seattle was decommissioned.
On July 1, 1970, NAS Seattle was redesignated Naval Support Activity, Seattle. Three years later, Navy surplused much of the property. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) received 116 acres (47 ha), including one-third of the runways and 3,500 feet (1,067 m) 0 f waterfront property. The City of Seattle received approximately 198 acres (80 ha) comprising the southeast portion of the base, including approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) of waterfront property; this area became Magnuson Park in 1977. Navy retained the remainder of the base. From 1970 until April 1982, the base provided logistic services to the 13th Naval District, U.S. Department of Defense (DOD), and other federal agencies.
In April 1982, Naval Support Activity, Seattle, was redesignated Naval Station, Seattle, and on October 10, 1986, was redesignated Naval Station Puget Sound, Seattle (Sand Point). Until September 1995, the base functioned as a support and billeting facility for the Northern Pacific Fleet. Sand Point was partially closed and realigned under the Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1988 (Public Law 100-526, Title II) and then the entire facility was closed under the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-510, Title XXIX, Part A).