|Base Mission and Use
Commissioned in Athens on 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School (NSCS) is the home of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic training in leadership, retail operations, disbursing, food service, data processing, and inventory management to prepare them for their roles as the Navy's business managers afloat and ashore. The school also provides specialized advanced logistics training not only to U.S. Naval personnel, but also to military officers from many foreign nations. The NSCS occupies a fifty-eight-acre campus rich in educational heritage. The site had been used as a school since the 1860s, first for the University of Georgia's University High School, then as a Confederate military school, and at the end of the Civil War, a Federal garrison. In 1866 the site housed a school for disabled young Confederate veterans, which existed with state support for two years.
Closure Date and Parcels Transferred
(Updated March 2012)
No RAB meetings are currently scheduled.
|No Information Repository Available.|
|Navy/Agency Points of Contact|
Athens-Clarke County Navy Supply Corps School Local Redevelopment Authority (LRA)
1240 South Lumpkin Street, Athens, GA, 30602
Base Closure Manager
Department of the Navy BRAC Program Management Office, Southeast
4130 Faber Place Drive, Suite 202, North Charleston, SC, 29405
Phone: (843) 743-2129
No Links Available.