Former Naval Shipyard Charleston

Former Naval Shipyard Charleston

Base Summary

Base Property and Historical Use
The Charleston Naval Complex (CNC) is located along the banks of the Cooper River in historic Charleston, SC. The CNC housed five major naval commands (the Naval Shipyard, the Naval Station, the Naval Fleet and Industrial Supply Center, the Fleet and Mine Warfare Training Center, and the Naval Reserve Center) as well as several small organizations.

Closure date, planned reuses, parcels transferred
In July 1993, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission recommended closure of the property as well as the majority of the commands. The South Carolina General Assembly promptly passed legislation to establish the CNC Redevelopment Authority (RDA), and operational closure of the base occurred on April 1, 1996. The Department of the Navy (DoN) divided transfer of the CNC’s 2,922 acres into four phases, and all transfers are complete. The DoN accomplished transfer of 661 acres to the RDA via three Economic Development Conveyances (EDCs) in 2000, 2002, and 2003. The DoN completed the final EDC consisting of 436 acres via early transfer in May 2005. Other significant transfers include the sale of 24 acres of the Chicora Tank Farm in 2004 and transfer of 1677 acres to other federal entities. Currently more than 85 private, local, state and federal entities own or lease property on the CNC. They include Deytens Shipyards, Charleston Marine Manufacturing, Charleston Marine Containers, Carolina Marine Handling, Neal Brothers, Protected Vehicles Incorporated, Noisette Company, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, the U.S. Postal Service, the U.S. Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the State Department. The South Carolina Ports Authority plans to establish a major marine cargo handling facility at the south end of the complex. Noisette Company has developed a Riverfront Park along the Cooper River and is in the process of creating an urban density city center in the northern portion of the CNC. Additionally, the Confederate H.L. Hunley submarine is being examined and conserved on the former base, and Clemson University plans on purchasing property for a Restorative Institute. The complex also houses a new Academic Magnet High School for the Charleston County School District. Altogether, 5.7 million square feet of building space are currently occupied, accommodating over 5,400 jobs. Over 1,000 of these jobs are filled by former base workers. Companies occupying manufacturing, engineering, office, warehouse, and service space have invested well over $125 million in facilities. When added to the nearly $16 million invested by the RDA in infrastructure, the total property investment is close to $141 million. Payroll and contracts generated by companies on the property exceed $265 million a year, and the average annual wage for these jobs is $37,000. More than $164 million in tangible goods are produced on the property each year, including goods exported to Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and the Far East. Six movies have been filmed at the former base, including Major League II, C.S.S. Hunley, and American Tempest.

  • Charleston, South Carolina
  • Total Acreage: 2801 ; Retained by Navy: 32
  • BRAC Year: 1993
  • Closure Date: 1 Apr 1996
  • Action: Closure - 100 percent disposed. Completing BRAC Environmental actions.

 

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us