Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Base Property and Historical Use
The former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard (HPNS) is located in the southeastern portion of the city of San Francisco on a peninsula that extends into the San Francisco Bay. HPNS was operated as a commercial dry dock facility from 1869 until December 29, 1939, when the Navy purchased the property. From 1945 until 1974, the Navy predominantly used the shipyard as a repair facility. HPNS was also partially occupied by the Naval Radiological Defense Laboratory (NRDL) from 1948, when NRDL was formed, to 1969. In 1974, the Navy ceased shipyard operations at HPNS, placing it in industrial reserve and transferring control of the property to the Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding, Conversion, and Repair in San Francisco. From May 1976 to June 1986, Triple A Machine Shop, Inc. leased most of HPNS from the Navy and operated these leased areas as a commercial ship repair facility.
Closure Date, Planned Reuses, Parcels Transferred
HPNS was identified for BRAC closure in 1991. The facility consists of approximately 934 acres of land (of those approximately 443 acres are submerged land). HPNS is divided into multiple parcels to help expediting the environmental cleanup efforts and to facilitate timely transfer of the property. In December 2004, the Navy transferred the first 75-acre of HPNS (known as Parcel A) to the city of San Francisco for residential housing development, community parks, and commercial venues. The remainder of HPNS will be conveyed to the City on a parcel by parcel basis once the environmental cleanup is complete. Information on the City's planned reuse and redevelopment can be found at the websites listed on this page, in the section called "Links".
Hunters Point Conveyance Status
For a larger image please click on the chart below.
For website questions email the webmaster
This is an Official US Navy Website.